Internal Form I-9 Audits
Form I-9 has proven to be tricky to properly complete and maintain over the duration of a worker’s employment.
With multiple technical questions, signature lines and information sections – it is easy to have incorrect Form I-9s that could lead to monetary penalties for a company in the event of an audit from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
For 1-9 paperwork violations in 2022, the penalties range from $252 to $2,507 for the first offense for substantive violations or uncorrected technical errors.
As ICE looks to update the form and make expansive changes including virtual review of documents, now is a great time to have TPM help you check in on your I-9s and look for any issues or errors.
6 Common I-9 Errors found during Audits
- I-9s are missing.
- Employee personal information is not complete.
- Accepting fraudulent documents.
- Employee signature is missing.
- Making corrections without initialing and dating them.
- Employer certification not completed within three days of date of hire.